What the Water Gave Me

It's built into our DNA to seek out and bathe in the ocean when we're hurt, even animals when covered in grazes and cuts will bathe in the ocean; it's the salt water which acts as a antibacterial wash that does the trick. I believe there's something else that's calm and therapeutic about bathing and water in general, I always feel so much better after having had a shower or when I've cried in the shower. You just feel new again and cleansed of all your worries and troubles.

I would secretly love to have a pet seahorse, mainly because I have a large in-joke with my boyfriend about how he is a pregnant sea horse and he'll give birth to my thousands of babies. For anyone who knows me in real life and knows who my boyfriend is... well... I'm sorry you had to read that but in a way it serves you right. Also because of the in-joke I am doubly in love with a gorgeous gold ring with a large blue sapphire and seahorse motifs on either side of the gem.

I had meant to focus on the ocean and a more nautical theme but I have some lovely photographs of interaction between aquatic mammals and fish as well as this bird's eye view of pool and tennis courts. It's the contrast of red, green and blue between the two sporting fields that ties it together as well as the sharp geometric lines of each that I admire. I had aspired to one day own a swimming pool when I was younger but now I've realised that all I need in Summer to keep happy is a very strong air conditioner, and the occasional nap in a bath tub on occasion as well.

I'm itching to get myself to either the Melbourne zoo or aquarium these holidays to once again make a day of photography. My last trips to each involved taking my boyfriend in tow but maybe it would be better if I went alone; while in his company he usually points out stuff I would otherwise miss, I'm sure he's sick of me paying more attention to a piece of electronic hardware than to him. That is, until the battery of my camera dies or the memory card gets too full.

I know I shouldn't think of this poor, shrivelled up seahorse exoskeleton as beautiful but there's something sculpture like about the way the bones and plates show with the dehydration of the seahorse. A little specimen like this is a Chinese chemists dream, the main threat of the seahorse is currently over fishing for use in traditional Chinese medicine. This tradition can be supported by the chemical properties within the body of a seahorse but it probably isn't recommended too much these days.

Rather than taking photographs of just the animals themselves when I visit zoos or aquariums, sometimes the better pictures are the interaction between humans and the animals trapped behind the glass. There's something beautifully tragic about the way the human's day is brightened up in that instant and the way the creature longs to be free and walk around and away from their enclosure with ease just as the human will do.I have my own dreams to work as a veterinarian in a zoo so I really shouldn't object to them too much.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...