Neon Dreams

With the decline of dip dye hair in popular culture I had all been ready to accept a bleak and boring outlook on hair and make up in fashion runway presentation. However, it seems that greater forces are at work and neon colours of the 1980s and 1990s have again inspired designers and been readily incorporated into collections- much to my amusement. Within the next week I hope to buy my first pair of creepers or some more 'jelly shoe' in clear and pink. Purple lipstick may not be on my agenda but black has certainly been playing on my mind and I also spotted a wonderful German camouflage jacket online the other night. It's not going to be an overnight transformation but I can predict punk elements squeezing themselves into the everyday fashion realms as well.

Model Charlotte Free still manages to shoot a smouldering stare down the catwalk dresses as a 1950s pin-up girl for the Jeremy Scott 2012  collection. Some people may argue that with pink hair costs a model their versatility across different looks but I quite like the contrast of black and white shoes and dress and the curling plumes of pink piggy tails. The daring display of skin across the stomach would only be shown on a stick-thin model but it's daring and imaginative- a trademark of Jeremy Scott's design. It's not a look I'm eager to adopt myself (...as much as I do love pink hair) but it feeds the soul with creativity.

Once again, images have been sourced from Oyster Magazine, repackaged by me, and sent out to you my lovely community of readers. While the sullen expression of the models in contrast to the sticky and graffiti like purple hair would mainly be viewed as disconcerting I think there's a cute, painterly appeal about it. It's surreal but it doesn't aim to imitate real life and also breathes new life into the old classic: a denim shirt. While I know my own mother would be appalled by such a notion I must express kudos to the styling team for this collection and avoiding any signs of hair dye on the foreheads of a model. Believe me, it's no mean feat to spread out hair dye from a spray can is such an even and measured way.

The following backstage photographs were taken at the Meadham Kirchoff runway show in London and I have to say, I do admire the fast and modern new direction of the brand. I had been trying to score some second hand jeans and blouses from the collection when they went through a long fad of lace inserts and patterns but the neon hair in chameleon tones and fluorescent tones really is visually powerful. There was a great variety of coloured hair combinations including splits down the middle of the hairline and shaft to bring out the best and boldest styles of the clothes. This Egyptian motif jacket with split-holographic attempted triangles is something that could be easily DIYed, providing you have a neon yellow jacket hanging about. I love the intensity and the hype about the presentation of this collection and I don't think it's the last we'll see of 1990s grunge aesthetic as far as high brand fashion labels are concerned.

No detail was spared in the presentations backstage and I love the jeweled crowns as well as floral crowns adorned by the stick-thin models. Even the unseen forces working behind the scenes have glorious tattoos of filled in stars and wild and wonderful piercings- it all seems to fitting and atmospherically correct in a punk sense. The models themselves though are quite sweet and dainty so the combination of these two binary elements is somewhat satisfying- it makes you wonder why no one had ever thought to put on such a bombastic runway show before.

One of the more wild trends of the late 1980s and 1990s involved chunky heeled shoes and platform boots in all manner of sparkly jeweled combinations. While Etsy does deliver on some great styles and designs within this specific genre of footwear, for truly outrageous neon colours and shamelessly clashing patterns I think Meadham Kirchoff easily takes the cake. Now if only I could find their wares cheap and online, then I would be well and truly set.

Just as a wacky side project, I can't help but think that recreating the neon looks and colours of this collection would look good on a generic and plain Barbie doll. It must be the cocked head of the girl on the left in the picture above as well as their dainty frames- were it not for the fact I am eagerly saving for fluorescent accessories sized for actual people I might be keen to try it all for myself.

I love the different tones and colour displayed in this photograph, but I'm not sure how highly I commend the use of collar. I myself like to have my long hair out and over my shoulders a little and was a little affronted by the bob like silhouettes of the model's hair from the back. The shot shown below works well with the estranged doll motif and it doesn't interrupt the flow and design of the clothes- perhaps I want to see the hair have it's own editorial shoot in a hairdresser's magazine. It was certainly a highlight from this collection for me and made me recognise the wonderful brand once again. I have a good feeling about the standard of 2012 fashion seasons.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...