Origami

I find it a little unfair and cosmically cruel that while I admire Japanese culture for their geisha and silk kimonos, their neat little tea houses, their martial arts and iconic Harajuku style two of their greatest traditions seem to begrudge me. I absolutely cannot fold things properly, so origami while being pretty and a nice little skill to pick-up is seemingly impossible for me and I cannot stomach sushi. It has been said that unrequited love is the only perfect love there is- but honestly it's taunting more than anything to admire a culture for its aesthetics but when put into practice it seems to cruelly mock me or make my dry wretch in my mouth.

While I am a little sore about origami being seemingly impossible for me, I still admire it and the art of folding and create something simply by arrangement and pulling out neat folded tucks. It always looks so perfect when executed by someone else but when I attempt it there's always tears and paper cuts. Maybe I would be more suited to admiring the art of folded paper that is origami from afar and make painterly impressions in watercolour of iconic cranes- a symbol of good luck.

In a role-playing exercise I was a part of a third world country family and had to try to work in a 'factory' and make origami elephants. Despite being demonstrated the technique, without instructions on paper I go nowhere near the target goal and was probably one of the contributing fact towards several of my family members 'dying'. This little fact is just another reason why origami doesn't ever work out for me when I try. The only things I have made successfully were a box and small matching lid with the help of someone sitting next to me in the fifth grade and I only ended up throwing them out yesterday since they were covered in dust. I hate the feel of dusty paper, dusty books is even worse.

It would be great if I could make a variety of things, I would settle for making paper cranes in all sorts of colours and sizes just like this cute little photograph- but the paper arts will not be easily tamed by these clumsy hands. Above my bed there is a paper crane I found in a classroom before maths was meant to start and beside that are several small plastic dinosaurs from my childhood. It was the best I could do.

I'd love to be able to thread cranes like this in a beaded curtain arrangement- I can only imagine all the work and meticulous folding and detail gone into each of these colourful cranes. The worst thing would be if the paper got moldy or in my case if they got covered in dust. If only there were some way to preserve paper origami properly and prevent the material from perishing... I wonder...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...